I would like to welcome JP Thompson yet again for another informative, fantastic post! If you have heard the before Field of Dreams adage, you’re hearing about it again, but in a whole new way! Enjoy!
If you are thinking that a bunch of ghosts of famous writers are going to show up on your site, and droves of readers are going to flock to see them to help promote your book…that’s not going to happen. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
If you search on Google for let’s say “romance novels,” it will return over 38 million results. There are about 10 results showing per page . . . well, let’s just say you are a penguin in a sea of penguins.
Let’s quickly do a reality check.
- Google research indicates that there are approximately 130 million published books.
- Amazon has approximately 1.7 million titles listed. Type in “romance novels” at Amazon/books and it will return approximately 38K results.
- 2011: about 3 million books published.
- 2012: is estimated to hit about 12 million books published.
- Alison Flood of the Guardian points out that a DIY study suggests that self-published authors make less than $500.00.
The hard reality . . . books are easy to find; buyers are not.
If you are interested in selling your book, it’s now time to take off your author hat. You need to think like a marketer. You now need buyers…so, how do you get buyers?
- First and foremost is EXPOSURE
- ENGAGE your potential buyer
- Offer them interesting or helpful content
GOT FANS? Sometimes we are our own worst enemy when it comes to selling. I know; I am a master sales trainer of 34 years. What I hear from authors:
I don’t blog.
I’ll never guest post.
I don’t know what to blog about.
My book is not selling; can you recommend a top agent for me in NYC?
I will advertise when book sales are better.
I am too old to use twitter.
I hate Facebook.
I don’t want people to find me.
I won’t sell a book on twitter.
“Hello, McFly!” Where do you think your buyers are going to come from?
- A search on Google? You’re 1 in 38M!
- A search on Amazon? You’re 1 in 38K!
Get active! It’s all about getting your book or yourself out there as an author so potential buyers see you and what you write. There is a reason approximately $80B was spent last year on business to consumer advertising. EXPOSURE!
Here are 10 things you can do right NOW to EXPOSE YOURSELF:
- Create a blog
70% of the millions of people surveyed buy due to reading a blog.
50% of those people read a blog once daily.
- Then drive traffic to your blog:
- Get Reviews
- Guest Blogging
- Face Book Fan Page
- Google +1
- YouTube Video
- Use a book promo service
- Create a book webpage
- Be sure to have a buying page or a link to where they can buy your book on your blog and book webpage with a strong call to action.
- Set up a Facebook fan page
- Set up a Twitter account
- You can tweet about your blog posts or book subject matter (just learn how to use the site properly so you don’t spam or self-promo exclusively).
- Reviews: Get beta readers to read your book.
Visit badredhedmedia.com for more information
- Minimum of 10 reviews
- Minimum 25 likes
- Set up a Google+1 account, LinkedIn account, GoodReads, and Pintrest account
- Set up a YouTube account.
- Create a video
- You can have a video created for as little as $5 on Fiverr.com (e,g., $45 video example at http://youtu.be/KHRj8kfbzRI)
- You can also advertise your video on YouTube for as little as $.01 per view
- Use AdWords (Google)
- or AdCentral (Bing and Yahoo)
Until next week, expose yourself!
Also, visit my blog on selling at Salescafe